For questions or to order by phone call +44 (0) 1527 598388

Daly did not snub us say SA Open organizers

Reports that controversial golfer John “Wild Man” Daly’s antics continued following the Australian Open by “snubbing” the South African Open are entirely unfounded said organizers of the event in Johannesburg. They claim he was simply unable to fit it into his schedule.

Promoter Mbali Ngqula dismissed allegations that Daly had refused to play the European Tour event after his fiery exit from the recent Open Down Under, where he hit a string of shots into a lake and then quit saying he had run out of balls.

Ngqula said on Thursday "it is wrong to suggest that John snubbed our invitation, he did no such thing.''

Ngqula said Daly was “very willing” to play the South African Open but had been unable to make it in time.

The promoter added the two-time major winner, known as ''The Wild Thing,'' had indicated he wanted to play in the Africa Open in South Africa early next year.

Scotland’s Steven O’Hara currently leads the pack 11 under, one stroke ahead of native South African Retief Goosen.

Marquee player Ernie Els is tied for 13th a further four shots back with a group of six other players including World Golf Hall of famer Nick Price.

Back to news list

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams

© 2014 Golf Outlets of America All Rights Reserved.